HAPPY FRIYAY. where do i even begin with Baked Vegan Cinnamon Toast Crunch French Toast. some words that describe it- glorious, scrumptious, heavenly, simplistic, sweet, cinnamon-y, nostalgic and i’m sure i could choose more.
it’s my vegan twist on a cereal that i grew up eating but ya know, in French toast form. you may be wondering if i coated the French toast with Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
nope, i did not do that but totally emulated the taste and it exceeded my expectations. on my IG stories, i mentioned that the French toast actually resembles the cinnamon crunch bagels from Panera. i would stop at Panera my first year of college just about every morning and snag one with a bucket of cream cheese. times have changed but my love of cinnamon and sugar has not, so this recipe is a total treat!
i actually made Baked Vegan Cinnamon Toast Crunch French Toast a couple of different ways. while one version was baked, the other was pan fried.
both were flippin’ phenomenal but the pan fried version burned a little because of the coconut sugar coating. i don’t recommend pan frying unless you coat with coconut sugar after you pan fry the French toast. also, this method was just way messier.
all about Vegan Baked Cinnamon Toast Crunch French Toast
- you make it all at once and immediately bake the bread.
- i used Dave’s Killer Bread but Ezekiel and sourdough work well too! beyond that, i’m not sure about gluten-free ones. if possible, you definitely want to use a sturdier bread and it helps if it’s a little on the harder side.
- the bread is coated in a no egg mixture and then you generously sprinkle aka coat each side with coconut sugar.
- the bread only takes 15 minutes to bake.
- it’s best served with a drizzle of maple syrup and vegan cream cheese if you want to imitate a cinnamon roll.
- it won’t keep in the fridge long because the bread will get soggy, so i recommend making the recipe and then eating right away.
i don’t consider this recipe a weekday prepare before work or school breakfast but it’s one hundred percent an easy weekend brunch or breakfast option. the recipe yields enough to feed about three people depending on how hungry everyone is, but you can always double the recipe.
ways to eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch French Toast
- bananas bananas bananas. the best topping in my opinion. ooooh and add some bourbon maple syrup on top, oh my gosh, i am drooling.
- add some vegan cream cheese if you would like, ya know, kind of like a cinnamon roll!
- French toast sticks are an option! before you add the bread to the no egg coating, cut the bread into slices and then coat each side.
- you don’t have to add cinnamon to the no egg coating or the coconut sugar to the top if you’re looking for plain French toast. the only thing i would recommend adding is a splash of maple syrup to the no egg coating if not.
can you actually coat the French toast in cereal?
yes! if you’re wondering, traditional Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal is not vegan friendly but there’s a cereal that’s super similar + vegan friendly, yay! honestly, it tastes JUST like it and the brand is called Cascadian Farms.
what takes the place of an egg?
ahhh good old flax meal never fails. it’s available at just about every grocery store i’ve ever been to and easily accessible online too. typically, i use Bob’s Red Mill brand or Trader Joe’s. go ahead and use whatever brand you have available though.
how long should you soak the bread?
not long! if you use any of the breads i mentioned above, only about a minute, so 30 seconds on each side. i know i know, not traditional but it’s the best way for amazing results.
you can soak the bread longer and it should be fine as long as the bread isn’t too flimsy and holds up. if you soak the bread too long and it’s not study enough, it might just fall apart!
so happy it’s friday and even though Alex and i devoured the French toast last night for dessert, it will one hundred percent be on repeat tomorrow. he’s off and deserves a special brunch.
i may even go to the store and get orange juice since i have champagne in the fridge. mimosas, Baked Vegan Cinnamon Toast Crunch French Toast, fresh berries and avocado sounds beyond amazing.
Baked Vegan Cinnamon Toast Crunch French ToastCourse: Breads, BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
6 slices Daves killer bread or sourdough (if sourdough, i recommend cutting off the curst)!- the slices were on the smaller side so you can double the no egg coating if you want to make more!
1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk- used almond milk
3 tbsp flax meal
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp almond or vanilla extract
- coconut sugar mixed with cinnamon for coating (can use another sugar or sugar sub like lakanto)
- mix the no egg coating ingredients (dairy free milk, flax meal, cinnamon, almond extract) until a thick mixture forms.
- coat the bread on each side for 30 seconds and then with a spoon, completely cover each side with coconut sugar.
- add to a parchment lined baking tray and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes (bake shorter period of time if French toast sticks).
- serve right away if you want them to be soft but they will firm up if you let them set.