hey there, my foodie friends! with the big game right around the corner, it’s time to start planning those epic party menus.
whether you’re a die-hard football fan or just in it for the commercials and halftime show, one thing’s for sure:
you need some delicious eats to keep the crowd happy.
that’s where my southwestern protein packed layered sweet potatoes come in!
this recipe is not only easy to make but also perfect for any superbowl or party spread.
let me break it down for you:
why it’s perfect for the superbowl or parties:
- it’s a crowd-pleaser: who doesn’t love loaded sweet potatoes? with layers of flavorful tofu, creamy guacamole, hearty beans, and zesty salsa, there’s something for everyone.
- easy to customize: this recipe is super versatile. don’t like tofu? swap it out for tempeh or just leave it out. not a fan of sweet potatoes? regular potatoes or even tortilla chips would work just as well.
- vegan-friendly: catering to a vegan crowd? no problem! there are plenty of vegan brands for salsa, cheese, guacamole, and refried beans that taste just as delicious as their non-vegan counterparts.
- taste and texture: the sweet potatoes add a hint of sweetness that pairs perfectly with the savory tofu and tangy salsa. plus, the different layers create a variety of textures, from creamy to crunchy to chewy.
tips for success:
- eat it fresh: while leftovers can be stored in the fridge, this dish is best enjoyed the day of for optimal flavor and texture.
- sweet potato varieties: feel free to experiment with different sweet potato varieties like garnet, jewel, or purple sweet potatoes for a fun twist on the classic recipe.
vegan brands to try:
- salsa: try brands like organicville, amy’s, or simply organic for delicious vegan salsa options.
- cheese: daiya, forager, miyoko’s, good planet, follow your heart, and violife offer a variety of vegan cheese options that melt beautifully.
- guacamole: look for brands like wholly guacamole, good foods, or trader joe’s for tasty vegan guacamole.
- refried beans: siete, amy’s, and edward & sons offer vegan-friendly refried bean options that are packed with flavor.
overall, my southwestern protein packed layered sweet potatoes are sure to be a hit at your next party or game day gathering.
whether you serve them as a main dish or a side, they’re guaranteed to satisfy even the pickiest eaters.
so grab your ingredients, fire up the oven, and get ready to score big with this delicious recipe!
if you like Southwestern Protein Packed Layered Sweet Potatoes, you’ll also love these other recipes of mine!
are you going to make Southwestern Protein Packed Layered Sweet Potatoes!?
if you make one of my recipes, i would LOVE to see your creation! be sure to leave a review in the comments section, it is so appreciated and helps my small business.
do you want to save this recipe for later!? you can add the recipe to your recipe board on Pinterest!
it brings me so much happiness to see your beautiful recreations on Instagram :). tag me so that i can see and repost your food on my stories!
Southwestern Protein Packed Layered Sweet PotatoesCourse: Side Dishes
for the sweet potatoes:
2 medium-large sweet potatoes, cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick
avocado oil, for coating
for the tofu layer:
14 ounces extra firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
avocado oil, for sautéing
1/3 cup finely diced onion
few minced garlic cloves
1 cup enchilada sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
sea salt and pepper, to taste
vegan cheese of choice
refried black beans (such as siete brand)
fresh cilantro or herbs, for garnish
- preheat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit (200 degrees celsius).
- prepare the sweet potatoes by cutting them into slices about 1/4 inch thick. coat them well in avocado oil and spread them out on a baking sheet.
- bake the sweet potatoes for 12-15 minutes until they are slightly golden brown. then, remove them from the oven, flip the slices, and bake for another 10-15 minutes, depending on thickness, until they are fully cooked and slightly crispy.
- while the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the tofu layer. in a pan, heat some avocado oil over medium-high heat. add the finely diced onion and minced garlic cloves, and sauté until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- add the crumbled tofu to the pan along with the enchilada sauce, tomato paste, taco seasoning, sea salt, and pepper. cook for 7-8 minutes or until the sauce thickens and is no longer watery.
- once the sweet potatoes are cooked, place them closer together, spread the tofu mixture evenly over them and sprinkle with vegan cheese of choice. try to cover the potatoes as much as possible so the edges do not burn. return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and begin layering. spread store-bought guacamole over the tofu layer, followed by refried black beans, salsa, and roasted corn.
- garnish the layered sweet potatoes with fresh cilantro or herbs. cut into slices as you would a pizza and serve hot. enjoy your southwestern protein packed layered sweet potatoes!