it is soup szn, even here in sunny florida!! with weather in the 60s, i would say that’s chilly enough for me now to bring out all of the soups. honestly, Healthy Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup is so dang good that i don’t need cooler weather or any excuse to eat it. surprisingly, i love eating this recipe cold too!! i know, kind of odd but it’s really good.
love that you can see the little bits of broccoli in the soup. the key is to not over blend it in the blender! you could blend it completely, but then you would have sort of a greenish color soup, which is totally cool because it’s not going to taste any different.
i added some sriracha to the soup base and drizzled some more on top because it’s probably one of my favorite sauces in the world. also, it compliments the flavors really well. everything bagel seasoning or at Trader Joe’s known as everything but the bagel seasoning is a component of this recipe. if you don’t have any or don’t like it, just omit it altogether!
enjoy this easy to make, hearty and Whole Foods based soup! it’s one of my absolute favorites and i hope you feel the same!
Healthy Vegan Broccoli Cheddar SoupDifficulty: Easy
2 tbsp avocado oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped onions
12 oz frozen broccoli florets (fresh is fine too but may need to add a little vegetable stock for steaming)
32 oz vegetable broth
1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp everything bagel seasoning
1 tsp sriracha
4 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes
- boil the russet potatoes in water for about 14 minutes. they should be tender and a fork should be able to easily go through the potato.
- in a separate pot or pan, add the avocado oil, onions and garlic. place a lid on top and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes and stir periodically. if you use fresh broccoli, add some vegetable stock for steaming.
- remove the lid after ten minutes and cook another 3 minutes.
- next, add the potatoes, vegetable stock, almond milk, sriracha, seasoning and nutritional yeast to a blender and blend until a smooth consistency.
- after, add the broccoli mixture and pulse until its grainy and you can see small bits.