if you could take almost every healthy food you can think of and put it in a vegan burger, well, that’s what i did! Vegan Superfood Burgers are a fun, super healthy and a flavor-packed way to get in healthy fats, protein, greens and complex carbs. you won’t even realize how healthy this superfood burger actually is because the taste is out of this world. throw it on a bun, or place atop a delicious veggie + rice bowl and dang, you have yourself a blissful meal.
the topping is just mashed avocado, garlic, red onion and a lil sea salt. if you’re eating them true burger style, i recommend a healthier-made bun, lettuce, tomato and some hummus + dijon mustard. it’s quite the combo! this is a great way to get picky eaters to enjoy nutrient-dense foods. baked fries on the side would be awesome! you could pair this with my Roasted Potatoes and Garlic Sauce recipe.
ingredients and directions
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2/3 cup oats
- 2 handfuls Tuscan kale (remove the hard stems)
- 2/3 cup green lentils cooked
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup water
1/3 cup very creamy tahini
3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup flax meal
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- combine the raw sunflower seeds, oats and kale in a food processor and pulse until a grainy texture forms.
- cook the lentils in water until they’re very tender, probably 30 minutes. monitor often and add more water as needed.
- add the mixture and lentils to a bowl with the remaining ingredients in the order listed above and mix it together until a thick and somewhat sticky texture forms.
- use your hands to mold the mixture into patties and you should be able to make 7 if they’re medium-large.
- lay on a parchment lined baking tray and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.