your favorite childhood snack is calling and it’s Healthier Homemade Vegan and Gluten Free Dunkaroos! this recipe is so exciting because i used to LOVE Dunkaroos when i was growing up and this is the healthy adult version.
Healthier Homemade Vegan and Gluten Free Dunkaroos are absolutely delicious and i’m surprised how close i got the flavors with the ingredients i used.
instead of making a frosting of sorts with buttercream, i made a much healthier dip using coconut cream and dairy free yogurt.
the key to getting a cake like flavor comes from almond extract and vanilla extract!
while this dip isn’t exactly like the real deal, it doesn’t matter because you won’t miss the original. it hits all of the flavors and you will feel great after eating it!
the cookies are vegan and gluten free by the way. they’re so delicious and easy to make!
while original Dunkaroos are really hard, the cookies i made have a little bit of chewiness to them, which is what i prefer.
you can always keep baking your cookies for a little bit longer to see if you reach the desired super firm texture.
here’s everything you need to make Healthier Homemade Vegan and Gluten Free Dunkaroos
coconut cream (only using the thick part NOT liquid. it should set in your fridge beforehand)
super creamy dairy free vanilla yogurt (used Siggi’s)- notes: you don’t want one with a lot of sugar; you can also use plain unsweetened but it should be very creamy and not runny
organic raw cane sugar or a sugar substitute
gluten free 1:1 baking flour
vegan butter (used miyoko’s)
Healthier Homemade Vegan and Gluten Free Dunkaroos are:
easy to make
a healthier version of a classic
stores well for a couple of days
made within 15 minutes
Healthier Homemade Vegan and Gluten Free Dunkaroos, then check out these other recipes from the blog!
Healthier Homemade Vegan and Gluten Free Dunkaroos?
if you make one of my recipes, i would LOVE to see your creation! be sure to leave a review in the comments section, it is so appreciated and helps my small business.
do you want to save this recipe for later!? you can add the recipe to your recipe board on Pinterest!
it brings me so much happiness to see your beautiful recreations on Instagram :). tag me so that i can see and repost your food on my stories!
Healthier Homemade Vegan and Gluten Free DunkaroosCourse: Cookies, Desserts
1¼ cups gluten free 1:1 baking flour (used Bob’s)
3 tbsp tapioca flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup melted vegan butter butter
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup creamy dairy free yogurt
3/4 cup coconut cream (only the cream in the can not the liquid. leave it in the fridge for several hours to set)
1/2 very creamy df yogurt (see text for brand)
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup organic raw cane sugar or 1:1 sub (can add more to make sweeter if you would like)
1/3 cup sprinkles
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- mix the cookie ingredients in a bowl until a thick dough forms. roll out until about 1/4 in thick and cut into tiny circles. i used a 1/2 tbsp measuring spoon to cut out the cookies.
- you can make the cookies thinner for more of a crunch because these will have some chewiness to them.
- bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes depending on thickness. taste test to see if you like the texture- can always bake a little longer to get a crunchier texture but monitor closely.
- mix all but the sprinkles for the dip ingredients in a food processor until well-combined. place in the fridge to set for 4 hours. then, fold in the sprinkles. serve right away with the cookies and enjoy! store the dip in the fridge in an airtight container.