ok, Levain inspired cookie recipes are everywhere, all over the gram and TikTok, so i had to look into them more. while i never had the original, they look amazing but aren’t vegan. also, i had a hard time finding vegan AND gluten-free ones, so you know i had to come up with a recipe.
honestly, these are some of the best cookies that i have ever tasted. believe me, i’m a chocolate chip cookie snob.
if i’m going to have a cookie, it better not be average, for me, it’s go all out or nothing.
from the buttery, chocolatey taste to the fluffy, soft and yet dense texture, Vegan and Gluten Free Levain Cookies have got it going on.
now, i noticed a lot of the levain inspired cookie recipes call for chilling the dough for a few hours but i took a shortcut (shocking lol).
instead, after you make the dough, you’re going to chill it in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
since these are gluten free and made with all purpose gluten free flour, the dough texture is different and it’s hard to describe.
i think the biggest obstacle was getting the chocolate chips to stay in the dough perfectly when shaping the dough into cookies.
they totally stick, but you have to be tedious when it comes to molding the dough into a thick cookie shape.
as you can see, they’re medium/large size cookies and i would say i used about 1/3 cup dough. you’re not going to flatten them either!
don’t make the cookie dough into a perfect ball, just a reeeeeally thick cookie. this is part of the magic, they’re super thick and the texture inside is just out of this world.
you can add more chocolate chocolate chips to the top if you want! to get them to stick better, you could brush a little bit of melted vegan butter or maple syrup on top.
here’s everything you need to make Vegan and Gluten Free Levain Cookies
- gluten free all-purpose flour (used arrowhead mills blend)
- baking soda
- baking powder
- rice wine vinegar
- vanilla extract
- vegan butter
- maple syrup
- dairy free milk
- chocolate chips
if you love my Vegan and Gluten Free Levain Cookies, try these other recipes on my blog too! 🙂
are you going to make my Vegan and Gluten Free Levain Cookies?!
if you make one of my recipes, i would LOVE to see your creation! be sure to leave a review in the comments section, it is so appreciated and helps my small business.
do you want to save this recipe for later!? you can add the recipe to your recipe board on Pinterest!
it brings me so much happiness to see your beautiful recreations on Instagram :). tag me so that i can see and repost your food on my stories!
Vegan and Gluten Free Levain CookiesCourse: Cookies, DessertsDifficulty: Easy
2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp rice wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup room temperature vegan butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup + 3 tbsp dairy free milk
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and then add in the wet ones.
- use clean hands to mix the dough until it’s thick and well combined.
- then, fold in the chocolate chips. due to the dough being gluten free, it’s a bit hard to get the chocolate chips to stick, but just do your best to incorporate them.
- make super thick cookies with about 1/3 cup of dough and place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- you can add some maple syrup or butter to the top and add more chocolate chips if you would like.
- bake at 350 degrees for 23 minutes and then let the cookies cool down a bit so they hold their shape.
- store in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container and enjoy!