Easy Vegan Tofu Parmesan is the move today! it’s veganuary and to kick off another delicious, healthy and easy recipe for the month, i made you an amazing dinner recipe. tofu is the star of this dish and it’s baked to crispy perfection with a breaded, parmesan crust.
trust me when i say this will become a weekly staple. it’s hard to not make this dish once a week because it is indeed, divine.
no one needs chicken when you have this cruelty free gem that packs a ton of flavor and heartiness to keep you full.
you’re going to need two packs of extra firm tofu as tofu is indeed the main base of the dish.
there’s no frying involved in my recipe, we’re just going to bake the tofu cutlets!
in order to create that beautiful crust, you’re going to need a few different ingredients.
the tofu first gets coated in organic corn starch + gluten-free flour and then dunked in plain dairy free milk.
after that, you transfer the tofu cutlet to a breadcrumb, vegan parmesan cheese and seasonings mixture. how good is this sounding already?
then, you can spray the tofu cutlets with a little bit of avocado oil or olive oil, ya know, just to get that golden brown color.
the tofu cutlets bake at 400 degrees for 22 minutes. then, ya flip em and bake another 18 minutes.
after that, you take them out of the oven, top with marinara and vegan mozzarella, and back into the oven they go for about 5 minutes. we want the cheese to melt into gooey goodness.
ok, so let’s talk about the bread crumbs! you can use whatever you want except i do not recommend Panko.
the ones that I used are from whole foods are plain and just the 365 brand. however, you want them to be SUPER fine.
so, I took the breadcrumbs and blended them in a food processor until they were super fine in texture. it didn’t take long at all as they were already fine.
also, you’re going to grate some vegan parmesan cheese and add that to the food processor after you have blended the breadcrumbs.
this ensures everything is mixed together well and creates the best delicate coating. the seasonings are added to the food processor as well!
as far as marinaras, use whatever you want! homemade is great but i just went with an organic store-bought one.
for cheese, i highly highly recommend miyoko’s vegan mozzarella. it’s the best in terms of texture and taste for this dish.
however, if you just can’t get ahold of any, another creamy cheese will work. you could use shredded, but i recommend something more like a cream cheese texture.
kite hill ricotta would be great or even their chive cream cheese. there’s tons of options out there.
here’s everything you’re going to need to make my Easy Vegan Tofu Parmesan
- extra firm tofu (it has to be extra firm)
- dairy free milk
- gluten-free all purpose flour
- corn starch or arrowroot powder
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- vegan parmesan cheese (used violife brand)
- store-bought marinara
- vegan mozzarella cheese (used miyoko’s)
- pasta of your choosing
you can serve this with pasta if you would like! lasagna would be delicious too!
i just bought some chickpea pasta from the store and added marinara.
you only need one jar of marinara for the recipe! you add a couple of tbsp to the tofu cutlets and the rest you can just add to the pasta.
if you love my Easy Vegan Tofu Parmesan recipe, then try these other ones from my blog!
are you going to make my Easy Vegan Tofu Parmesan?!
if you make one of my recipes, i would LOVE to see your creation! be sure to leave a review in the comments section, it is so appreciated and helps my small business.
do you want to save this recipe for later!? you can add the recipe to your recipe board on Pinterest!
it brings me so much happiness to see your beautiful recreations on Instagram :). tag me so that i can see and repost your food on my stories!
Easy Vegan Tofu ParmesanCourse: Lunch & Dinner, ProteinDifficulty: Easy
5 servings roughly if each person has two
- 28 ounces extra firm tofu
- flour mixture
1/3 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
1/4 cup organic corn starch
- breadcrumb mixture
1 and 1/2 cups bread crumbs
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
3/4 cup grated vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 and 1/2 cups plain and unsweetened dairy free milk
- 1 jar marinara (25 ounces)
- 1 package vegan mozzarella cheese (see text for brand)
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- press the water out of the tofu as much as possible. removing the excess liquid from the tofu improves the flavor and texture. to do so, place the tofu between 2 layers of paper towel and plates and let that sit for about 10-15 minutes.
- then, cut the tofu into about 3/4 inch thick rectangles. mix the corn starch with the gluten-free all purpose flour and add to a bowl.
- add the breadcrumbs and seasoning to a food processor and blend until SUPER fine. then, add the parmesan cheese and blend again.
- next, coat the tofu in the cornstarch and flour mixture and then gently dunk it into the dairy free milk bowl.
- after that, place it into the breadcrumb parmesan mixture and make sure the tofu is well-coated.
- add to a parchment lined baking tray and spray with avocado oil or olive oil if you have some. bake at 400 degrees for 22 minutes.
- take the tofu out, gently flip it, spray the other side and bake another 18 minutes.
- remove the tofu, add a couple tbsp of vegan marinara and vegan cheese on top. bake another 5 minutes until the cheese melts a bit.
- serve with cooked pasta of your choosing mixed with the marinara. enjoy!