sweet potatoes and pizza…two of my favorite things here!! when you put them together, it’s absolute bliss. Vegan Pizza Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are packed with vegan burger crumbles, zucchini, onions, marinara and topped with cheese, so it’s a total crowd-pleaser vegan or not.
they’re a little bit of work just because you have to steam the sweet potatoes for 10 minutes in water and then bake them for 40 minutes the first time and 12 the second. however, it’s totally worth it for the result!
you can really add in whatever you want in terms of veggies, but onions are a must for me and zucchini is one of my favorites!
so, i took a few shortcuts with the ingredients! first, instead of making my own marinara, i used store bought! Rao’s is probably my favorite, although there are tons of amazing ones out there!
you’re going to need about 24 ounces, so the whole jar. additionally, pesto sounded amazing and i did buy the kale cashew pesto at Trader Joe’s so here we are!
lastly, the vegan burgers are the turkey-less patties from Trader Joe’s.
if possible, i highly recommend getting ahold of some for this dish, but you can use another brand. something along the same texture as the impossible burger would be best!
ingredients for Vegan Pizza Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium large sweet potatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- garlic powder
- two vegan patties
- 24 ounce jar marinara
- 1/2 cup vegan shredded cheese for topping
- store bought pesto
steps to create this dish
- scrub your sweet potatoes to ensure they’re clean.
- lightly pierce the sweet potatoes in a couple of places and add 1.5-2 inches of water to the bottom of a large pot. cook for 10 minutes with the lid on but a small opening to release the steam.
- you can steam the potatoes traditionally with a steamer basket or colander but i don’t have one, so my method works fine!
- then, place them on a baking tray and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.
- while that’s all going on, you can sauté the veggies and crumbled vegan burgers in a large pot!
- when the sweet potatoes are done, let them cool down a bit before you scoop out the center and then mash it. you do want to leave a thin layer in the sweet potatoes though to leave them sturdy enough to hold the filling!
- you can scoop out the filling and mix that with the veggie burger mix! also, don’t forget to add the marinara.
- the potatoes can be topped with vegan cheese and have to bake once more.
also, i just want to note that you may have a little bit of stuffing leftover because i couldn’t fit all of it into the sweet potatoes without overstuffing them!
the stuffing is delicious though, so of course i ate some on the side.
the sweet potatoes will keep well in the fridge stored in an airtight container for a couple of days, but they are definitely best when served freshly made!
are you going to make Vegan Pizza Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes?!
if you make one of my recipes, i would LOVE to see your creation! be sure to leave a review in the comments section, it is so appreciated and helps my small business.
also, you can follow upbeetandkaleingit on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more vegan recipes!
do you want to save this recipe for later!? you can add the recipe to your recipe board on Pinterest!
it brings me so much happiness to see your beautiful recreations on Instagram :). tag me so that i can see and repost your food on my stories!
Vegan Pizza Twice Baked Sweet PotatoesCourse: Lunch & Dinner, Main Dishes, Protein
4 medium large size sweet potatoes
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 medium size zucchini cut into quarters
2 vegan patties crumbled (see post for brand details)
1 tsp garlic powder
one 24 ounce jar marinara
sea salt to taste
1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese (or however much you want)
vegan store bought pesto for topping
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- scrub your sweet potatoes to ensure they’re clean. then, lightly pierce the sweet potatoes in a couple of places and add 1.5-2 inches of water to the bottom of a large pot. cook for 10 minutes with the lid on but a small opening to release the steam.
- place the sweet potatoes on a baking tray and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.
- in the meantime, crumble the vegan burgers and add to a large pan with the olive oil, onions and zucchini. cook on medium heat for 8 minutes. then, add the garlic powder and marinara.
- when the sweet potatoes are done, let them cool down a bit before you scoop out the center! leave a thin layer in the sweet potatoes though to leave them sturdy enough to hold the filling!
- mash the sweet potato filling and then add it to the zucchini and vegan burger mixture. mix well, then stuff the sweet potatoes to the top, add vegan cheese to the top and bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.
- when they’re done, you can add pesto and enjoy!