it’s almost my birthday (march 28th), so it’s absolutely necessary that i make a cake or two this week. i don’t make cakes too often, so i wanted to make Easy Vegan and Gluten-free Chocolate Cake extra special. it’s vegan, gluten-free, made with real ingredients and incredibly rich + decadent. everyone will love this cake!
ah, Easy Vegan and Gluten-free Chocolate Cake is positively scrumptious! i had to have Alex take some pieces to work with him so i wouldn’t eat it all at once! the frosting is really awesome too, it’s actually a sweet potato based frosting!
of course, you can use any frosting you want, vanilla would be awesome! if you’re going with store bought, i recommend simple mills, but that’s really the only brand i’ve tried!
holy flippin’ fluffy cake!! i am beyond excited about the taste and texture because both are perfect. it’s hard to get a really fluffy gluten-free and vegan cake in my opinion.
the combination of gluten-free flour and almond flour does the trick. you need more almond flour than gf flour and almond adds a necessary healthy fat component.
it’s important for the texture, so when it comes to subs for the almond flour, i don’t have any for you (sorry!!). you can totally sub at your own risk but this is the only way i’ve tried the cake.
when it comes to the cake only, you’re going to need 8 simple ingredients! the frosting is easy too, it’s just sweet potato puree, chocolate chips, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
i used organic canned sweet potato puree, but you can definitely use fresh!
to avoid any lumps, after you melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil, i would add everything to a food processor so the frosting is smooth.
here’s everything you need!
- gluten free all purpose flour (used Trader Joe’s and many brands have different blends so check to make sure yours is the same formulation)
- almond flour
- cocoa powder (Whole Foods 365 brand is super rich- totally rec!)
- baking powder
- organic light brown sugar (used wholesome brand and best sub is coconut sugar)
- vanilla extract
- unsweetened almond milk or any dairy free
- sunflower seed butter (sunbutter is what i recommend or any very creamy nut or seed butter)
for the baking pan, i used a square 8 x 8 but it should be just fine to use a traditional round cake pan!
even though this is a cake, you could probably leave out the frosting on top altogether and call them brownies! the texture is fudgy enough for that.
chocolate chips would be a great add in if you’re going to go that route, just mix in about 1/3 cup to the batter.
are you going to make Easy Vegan and Gluten-free Chocolate Cake?!
if you make one of my recipes, i would LOVE to see your creation! be sure to leave a review in the comments section, it is so appreciated and helps my small business.
also, you can follow upbeetandkaleingit on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more vegan recipes!
do you want to save this recipe for later!? you can add the recipe to your recipe board on Pinterest!
it brings me so much happiness to see your beautiful recreations on Instagram :). tag me so that i can see and repost your food on my stories!
Easy Vegan and Gluten-free Chocolate CakeCourse: Cakes, DessertsDifficulty: Easy
see text for brands used and subs!
2 cups almond flour
1 cup gluten free flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1.5 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup organic light brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup sunflower seed butter
1 and 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup sweet potato puree (used can but see post for tips)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp maple syrup
- pre heat the oven to 350 degrees. for the cake, mix the dry ingredients first and then add in the wet ones.
- mix until a thick and smooth batter forms. add to a parchment lined 8 x 8 baking tray and bake at 350 degrees for 27 minutes.
- let the cake cool down completely and then add the frosting.
- to make the frosting, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil (45 sec-1 min in the microwave) and then add to the remaining frosting ingredients. mix well and place in the fridge to set for 30-45 minutes.
- frost the cake, store in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container and enjoy!