i didn’t see this glorious cake coming my friends. if it wasn’t for the perfectly ripe bananas sitting on the counter and my extreme craving for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, i’m not sure Vegan PB and J Cake would be making an appearance right now. well thank goodness for those bananas and that craving, because the outcome is perhaps the more decadent, healthy and unbelievably delicious vegan cake of all time.
Vegan PB and J Cake truly is like a sandwich. from the texture to the taste, it’s crazy how much this resembles my favorite comforting snack. as with many of my desserts, Vegan PB and J Cake is made in yep, you guessed it…in a food processor, yay!
if you’re not a fan of peanut butter, any nut or seed butter will work! also, you can use any kind of jam, i chose a store-bought organic strawberry flavor without refined sugar.
every single recipe i make excites me, but Vegan PB and J Cake speaks to me on another level of vegan dessert goodness. happy Wednesday!!
ingredients + directions
- 4 medium-large very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
- 2 tbsp room temp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp very creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (vanilla works)
- 2 tbsp egg replacer with no liquid added just the mix- i used bob’s red mill and have not tried it with anything else, but you can try 2 tbsp flax meal as a replacement (texture might be different)
- 1/3 cup gluten-free all purpose flour- used trader joe’s
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup strawberry jam- used refined sugar free found at Whole Foods
- 1/4 cup room temperate vegan butter
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- add all ingredients but the strawberry jam, vegan butter and 1/3 cup peanut butter to a food processor.
- blend on high until a thick batter forms with no clumps.
- pour half of the batter into a parchment lined circular cake pan.
- then add the strawberry jam on top and gently spread to the edges.
- top with the other half of the batter and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- cool down cake completely- about 45 minutes before frosting.
- whisk the 1/3 cup peanut butter and vegan butter together in a bowl.
- top the cake and enjoy!