oreo cookies might be at the top of best food inventions to date. i’ve been obsessed with oreos since i can remember and thoroughly enjoy them from time to time because BALANCE. sometimes, we need a homemade, lightened up chewy cookie version too, and that’s exactly what Healthier Vegan Oreo Cookie Sandwiches are!
ah, ok, where do i begin? with the rich, perfectly sweet, semi fudgy and chewy chocolate cookies or the coconut butter frosting?!
no, these aren’t copycat oreos. they’re thick, softer and chewier cookie sandwiches but they absolutely resemble the classic cookie.
think of this recipe as a hybrid of oreos and whoopie pies!
now that fabulous coconut butter frosting, it’s melty in some pics because i was in a hurry for an appointment and the cookies weren’t completely cooled down.
just make sure yours are cooled down, and then you can add a layer of frosting, place them in the fridge for about 20 minutes, add the second cookie on top and back in the fridge for 15 min or so.
store them in the fridge to keep the frosting from melting because it does have coconut butter in it.
you could absolutely store the Healthier Vegan Oreo Cookie Sandwiches in the freezer and just let them thaw a bit before you eat one!
y’all, the cookies are R I D I C U L O U S! like if i had to think of a dream cookie, these would be it, even without the frosting.
the key is to find a really good, rich cocoa powder. i recommend Whole Foods 365 brand or Hershey’s Special Dark 100% Cacao.
both of these have been used in my recipes more times than i can count and produce such a rich taste + color. when it comes to texture, i usually prefer chewy cookies over crunchy!
Healthier Vegan Oreo Cookie Sandwiches are definitely chewy but if you want to try and bake yours a bit longer, go for it, just monitor closely because you don’t want them to be dry!
heads up, this batter is STICKY, but don’t worry, i have a tip around that. first, you’re going to need to scoop out a HEAPING tbsp of batter and place it on parchment paper.
then, run your hands under the faucet and give them a shake, then pat down the cookie dough and mold it into a cookie shape.
the water won’t ruin the cookie or anything but obviously make sure your fingers aren’t like dripping wet lol.
here’s everything you need!
- oat flour
- almond butter
- cocoa powder
- coconut sugar
- vanilla extract
- almond butter or any runny nut/seed butter
- unsweetened dairy free milk
- coconut butter
- vanilla frosting
the coconut butter can be omitted altogether if you want!
the reason i added coconut butter besides the fact that it’s delicious is because it hardens, thus emulating the center of an actual oreo.
frosting alone though is more than fine and i used simple mills vanilla frosting.
are you going to make Healthier Vegan Oreo Cookie Sandwiches?!
if you make one of my recipes, i would LOVE to see your creation! be sure to leave a review in the comments section, it is so appreciated and helps my small business.
also, you can follow upbeetandkaleingit on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more vegan recipes!
do you want to save this recipe for later!? you can add the recipe to your recipe board on Pinterest!
it brings me so much happiness to see your beautiful recreations on Instagram :). tag me so that i can see and repost your food on my stories!
Healthier Vegan Oreo Cookie SandwichesCourse: Cookies, Desserts, Snacks, SweetDifficulty: Easy
recipe yields 8 medium size cookie sandwiches. see text for brands used and tips!
1 cup oat flour
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup runny almond butter
3/4 cup plain unsweetened dairy free milk
1/4 cup melted coconut butter
1/2 cup vanilla frosting
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- mix the cookie ingredients together in a bowl until a thick and sticky batter forms.
- use a tbsp measurer and add one heaping tbsp to a parchment lined baking tray to create 16 cookies.
- run your hands under water, give them a shake and pat down/mold the dough into a flat cookie shape. since the batter is sticky, using slightly wet hands is important but you don’t want them dripping water on the cookies.
- bake the cookies at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
- let the cookies cool down completely. mix the melted coconut butter with vanilla frosting until a runny texture forms and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- once the cookies are completely cool and the frosting has set, add a spoonful, place another cookie on top and place back in the fridge for 15 minutes or so to set once more.
- store in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container and enjoy!