first came The Best Vegan Cinnamon Rolls and now, we have The Best Vegan S’mores Rolls. they are absolutely, positively divine and i don’t know how else to describe them. ok, maybe ooey, gooey, chocolatey marshmallow goodness will do too. RUN to the kitchen to make these gems.
holy mother of s’mores rolls, this is another level i was not expecting lol.
as i was watching The Great British Baking Show, they were making scrumptious rolls and that spurred an idea.
i thought about my drool-worthy cinnamon rolls and had a huge craving for chocolate, so somehow, s’mores came to mind.
oh my, am glad it did because this may be the best thing you’re ever going to try! sure, the recipe is super indulgent BUT, at least it’s made with all real ingredients.
the base is really similar to my cinnamon rolls recipe but there were a few modifications made. first, i added almond butter to the dough!
this makes it more doughy in texture and also adds on to the s’mores flavor. instead of olive oil, i did use avocado oil but they’re interchangeable!
also, i added a little bit of almond extract! it gives a depth of flavor that adds indulgence to whatever you’re making- sort of like a cake flavor!
there’s also two more components to this recipe that i want to note! first, my glaze, which is similar to the one for The Best Vegan Cinnamon Rolls.
there’s also a delicious graham cracker like crumble, which is of course optional!
i purposely made the crumbles on the soft side but you can bake yours longer if you want them to resemble true graham crackers.
should you prep the s’mores rolls the night before?
yes, if you can you should but if not, make sure you refrigerate them for 4-6 hours!
is the prep process easy?
yes! all you have to do is warm up the almond milk and then add the remaining wet ingredients and whisk them together.
then, add the rapid rise yeast, mix well and let it set for a couple of minutes. after that, you can add the flour and knead the dough.
once that’s done, you can roll it out, add the marshmallows and chocolate chips, cut into rolls and place in the fridge overnight or for several hours.
this is tip really important by the way-some brands of marshmallows will dissolve and disappear in the baking process, Dandies will NOT! if you can get ahold of them, 100% use this brand!
as far as subs go, this is the only way i made the s’mores rolls and if you want to make them gluten-free, go for it, but just sub at your own risk.
i just can’t guarantee how they will turn out but it’s always fun to try!
here’s everything you’re going to need to make The Best Vegan S’mores Rolls
- all purpose organic unbleached flour
- rapid rise yeast
- avocado oil
- maple syrup
- almond milk or dairy free milk
- runny almond butter- recommend Trader Joe’s brand or whole foods
- almond extract
- mini vegan marshmallows- dandies brand
- mini chocolate chips
- vegan cream cheese
- vegan butter
- oat flour
- coconut sugar
pretty simple right!? there’s a good chance you have most of these ingredients in your pantry or kitchen too! if not, they’re widely available at most grocery stores.
are you going to make The Best Vegan S’mores Rolls?!
if you make one of my recipes, i would LOVE to see your creation! be sure to leave a review in the comments section, it is so appreciated and helps my small business.
do you want to save this recipe for later!? you can add the recipe to your recipe board on Pinterest!
it brings me so much happiness to see your beautiful recreations on Instagram :). tag me so that i can see and repost your food on my stories!
The Best Vegan S’mores RollsCourse: Breads, Breakfast, DessertsDifficulty: Easy
yields 12-14 depending on size
3 and 1/2 cups organic unbleached all purpose flour
1 packet rapid rise yeast
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cup almond milk or dairy free milk
1/4 runny almond butter
2 tbsp avocado oil
1/2 tsp almond extract
- dough filling
1 cup mini marshmallows (make sure they’re dandies and see text for why)
1/2 cup or however much you want of mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup plain vegan cream cheese
3 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- graham cracker crumbles
3/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp almond milk
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- heat the almond milk in the microwave for 1.5 minutes. then, add the maple syrup and avocado oil, almond butter and almond extract and whisk together.
- transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, add the rapid rise yeast and mix well. let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- add the flour (1/2 cup at a time and stir). once the dough is mixed well and sticky, transfer to parchment paper and then add another piece of parchment paper on top. this makes it sooo easy to roll out! (the thickness of the dough should be about 1/3 to 1/4-inch).
- starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. i rolled mine horizontally to get more rolls. then, with a knife or string of floss, cut the dough into thick sections and place in a greased 9 x 13 inch square baking pan. cover the top with plastic wrap, place in the fridge overnight to bake in the morning.
- then, bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- whisk the glaze ingredients together, pour on the top while the rolls are warm. in another bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbles dough and add to a parchment lined baking tray. you can slightly wet your hands to evenly distribute it into a rectangle about 1/3 inch thick since the dough is sticky.
- bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, cool down and then break apart into crumbles.
- top the s’mores rolls and enjoy!! store in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container.