potatoes and pizza are possibly the two biggest gifts to us humans. the only next best option to eating each separately, is combining them!
please welcome Vegan Pizza Smashed Potatoes. they’re simply delicious and incredibly easy to make.
you can use any store bought marinara and vegan shredded cheese. i think Rao’s is flippin’ amazing but there are tons of awesome marinaras out there!
how to make the potatoes:
the process to make the smashed potatoes is really simple!
- first, the potatoes have to be boiled until they’re tender.
- they’re done when you can easily pierce them with a fork! after that, you coat the potatoes with extra virgin olive oil and some seasonings.
- after they’re coated well, you can add the potatoes to a parchment lined baking tray. then, i used the bottom of a glass to smash the potatoes.
- once the potatoes are smashed, you bake them for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. lastly, the marinara and vegan cheese can be added to the top and placed pack in the oven for 12-14 minutes.
- once they’re done, you can add more toppings you would like but they’re delicious as is!
Vegan Pizza Smashed Potatoes are so fun for breakfast, lunch or dinner. they make the best appetizer or side dish too- totally a crowd-pleaser.
they’re the best thing to make any time you get a craving for some criiiiispy potatoes, but want something other than French fries. don’t get me wrong, French fries are life but so are these gems.
my tip is to use small potatoes for sure if you want them extra crispy!
you can definitely use larger ones but the baking time could be longer.
Trader Joe’s had a mixture of purple, yellow and red potatoes. i got two 1 lb bags and made 1.5 lbs total, which is plenty for 4-5 people as a side dish or appetizer!
if it’s for more people, then just use the full 2 lbs or however much you need!
topping suggestions for Vegan Pizza Smashed Potatoes
let me know if you make this recipe and be sure to tag me in your posts!!
Vegan Pizza Smashed PotatoesCourse: 10 Ingredients, Lunch & Dinner, Side DishesDifficulty: Easy
1.5 lbs tri color potatoes
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
store bought marinara
vegan mozzarella cheese
- boil the potatoes whole in water for 20 minutes or until tender enough to pierce with a fork.
- drain the potatoes and add to a large bowl. coat with the olive oil and seasonings.
- place on a parchment lined baking tray and use the bottom of a glass to flatten the potatoes.
- bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. then, remove the potatoes and add a spoonful of marinara to each potato. top with vegan mozzarella.
- bake another 12-14 minutes and then they’re done!