zucchini boats are aaaaall over the internet, yet this was my first time making them! i see zucchini boats on Pinterest all of the time and wanted to give my recipe both a vegan and hearty twist. there are so many filling options and it was hard to narrow things down. in the end, i went with chorizo seitan as the main ingredient, which i buy at Whole Foods (it’s Upton’s brand). also, kale was added for some greens and mushrooms for earthy flavors.
how the heck did it take me so long to make a zucchini boat recipe!? there are so many versions to try too!
if you can’t get ahold of chorizo seitan, any kind will work! i just wanted something pre-seasoned for more flavor and a little bit of a shortcut in the kitchen. also, i used store-bought marinara (Rao’s) instead of making my own. not only are Hearty Vegan Zucchini Boats ridiculously yummy, they’re easy to make too!
whether you follow meatless Mondays, are a long-time vegan or just trying to reduce your meat and dairy consumption, Hearty Vegan Zucchini Boats is an excellent recipe to incorporate into weekly meals :).
ingredients + directions
- 4 medium-large zucchinis (use a spoon to scoop out the middle)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 6 oz chorizo seitan (used Upton’s)
- 6 oz portobello mushrooms cut into small pieces
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 handfuls chopped kale
- 1 cup marinara of choosing
- vegan cheese for topping
- sauté the onions, mushrooms and seitan in olive oil for two minutes on medium-high heat.
- then, turn the heat to medium and add the vegetable broth and kale. cook another 10 minutes.
- add the marinara, mix well and fill the hollow zucchini boats.
- top with cheese and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- *should make about 7-8 boats!