there’s nothing like a good power bar to hold you over until your next meal. Vegan Power Bars are loaded with healthy fats, oats and topped with a thick layer of chocolate sauce made from unsweetened chocolate chips, almond milk and coconut oil. you can definitely used sweetened chocolate chips but i opted for unsweetened because the dates are sweet enough for me. it also makes them feel more like power bars rather than healthier candy bars lol.
hemp hearts are one of my favorite toppings for all things sweet and savory, as you can probably tell from my pictures and this post. i also added 1/4 cup to the Vegan Power Bars for extra nutrients and a little protein.
oooooh the chewy center!! organic oats and peanut butter are responsible for the sticky, chewy goodness in Vegan Power Bars. you can replace the peanut butter with any nut or seed butter as long as it’s a creamy texture!
i think the shape of my bars ended up looking like my copycat Reese’s Eggs lol. oh well, it’s the taste that counts. can’t wait to see your remakes!!
ingredients + directions
- 1.5 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter or any nut/seed butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 5 large pitted medjool dates
- chocolate coating: 1/3 cup unsweetened (or sweetened) chocolate chips, 1/3 cup almond milk, 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract and 2 tbsp coconut oil. add more almond milk if it’s too thick.
- add all ingredients but the chocolate sauce to a food processor.
- blend until a thick and sticky consistency forms.
- with slightly wet hands, mold the dough into bars on a parchment lined tray.
- melt the chocolate sauce coating ingredients and mix well.
- pour over or dip the bars and place in the fridge to harden (i did two layers).
- store in the fridge or freezer (thaw before eating).