can you believe this masterpiece is VEGAN? whether you turn Healthy Veggie and Orzo Salad into a side dish or an entree, it’s sure to be a total crowdpleaser. the crunchy red onions, nutty tasting orzo and fresh, aromatic basil make the ultimate combo! oh and the dressing is unreal. like many of my savory recipes, this one is versatile, so if there’s a veggie or herb you don’t like, replacing it should be just fine!
i appreciate an easy-to-make recipe just as much as anyone else and this is no exception. all you have to do is cook orzo (i used Jovial Cassava), sauté it with some tofu, and then add veggies, herbs and the dressing. no fuss in the kitchen is what my stuff is all about!
hoping you have the most relaxing sunday and smooth transition into the new week. Healthy Veggie and Orzo Salad would be great for meal prep btw!
ingredients and directions
- 1 box orzo (used Jovial Cassava Orzo)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled extra firm tofu
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 handfuls chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup very creamy tahini
- 1 tsp liquid aminos
- 1 tsp hot sauce (i used organic sriracha)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/3 cup water
- cook the orzo according to package directions.
- rinse and drain, then add to a pot with the olive oil and sauté with the crumbled tofu for a few minutes on medium heat. stir often to avoid sticking.
- cool down and then add the remaining ingredients except the dressing.
- whisk the dressing ingredients in a bowl and then combine with the salad.
- serve at room temp and enjoy!