comfort food that’s vegan and incredibly good for your mind, body and soul is my kind of food. Vegan “Meaty” Pasta Bake is one of those feel good dishes that vegans and non-vegans alike will adore. the vegan “meat” is made from raw sunflower seeds and mushrooms, how cool is that? the vegan meat is perfectly paired with an easy, homemade tomato sauce made with minimal and real ingredients.
oh the topping, CHEEEEEEZE. lots of it too! this is optional but i highly suggest adding vegan cheese to the top and some vegan parm would be fabulous too! do you know you can make a delicious vegan parm in the food processor using just raw cashews, nutritional yeast and garlic? amazing.
this recipe will make a fair amount, so it’s a great family dinner option! if it’s just you or you and another person, it will hold up well in the fridge for a few days, so you can have some ready-made meals :).
ingredients and directions
- mushroom mix
- 8 oz baby Bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 16 oz brown rice pasta or pasta of choosing
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- vegan cheese for topping
- cook 16 oz brown rice pasta or pasta of choosing according to package directions until al dente.
- in a food processor, pulse the mushrooms and sunflower seeds until a grainy texture forms.
- sauté the onions in avocado oil for 3 min on medium high-heat.
- then, turn to medium low, add the vegan meat mixture and remaining ingredients except vegan cheese for topping.
- cook on medium-low heat with the lid on for 18-20 minutes.
- next, add the rinsed and drained cooked pasta to the sauce, mix well and transfer to a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- top with vegan shredded cheese and bake at 375 for 25 min.