my chocolate rolls got a makeover and i have to say, this is an even BETTER version!! on top of just being flippin’ unreal, the chocolate rolls are vegan and gluten-free, which is incredible.
it’s hard to get an amazing texture when you bake vegan and gluten-free in my opinion. over the years, it’s taken a lot of trial and error in the kitchen.
in order to get a really fluffy texture when you bake with gluten-free all purpose flour, i find that almond flour is its best friend.
the two were made to be combined together in my opinion! if you haven’t tried, you will see with this recipe, i’m sure of it!
i made a cool reel for the Vegan and Gluten-Free Chocolate Rolls on instagram! you can check it out here if you’re interested.
it shows you the process of how the rolls come together!
so the dough is legit beyond yummy. you know what it tastes like?! a graham cracker!! the rolls are soft though, especially on the inside.
the outside is a little harder, more like a pastry type of texture but in the center, you get that melty, gooey classic texture a cinnamon roll has.
you could absolutely use cinnamon and sugar instead of chocolate here! honestly, you could experiment with a lot of different fillings!
blueberries would be wonderful too along with some banana and walnuts. oh yum, the options truly are endless!
the process to make the rolls is pretty similar to how you would make cinnamon rolls without yeast.
here’s an overview of the steps
- combine the dry ingredients first
- then, mix in the wet ones
- first, use a spoon to combine everything
- then, switch to using your hands
- sort of knead the dough as much as possible
- add gf flour to a flat surface
- either use a rolling pin or your hands and spread it out to about 1/3 inch thick
- sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and use a pizza cutter to make long strips
- roll them up and place in a cake pan
so this recipe only yields 6 unless you want to make yours smaller than mine. i typically don’t make things in bulk, especially since there’s two of us.
this recipe is still great for up to 6 people and perfect for a weekend breakfast. you can double the recipe if you want!
ok i want to point this out because it’s important. not every gluten-free all purpose flour mixture is comprised of the same flours.
so i used arrowhead mills gluten-free all purpose flour. i highly suggest either use that or make your own mixture with the same flours.
if you use another mixture, the texture may not turn out the same!
Vegan and Gluten-Free Chocolate Rolls are a crowd-pleaser and something that you can whip up in the kitchen in no time.
whether you have this for breakfast or dessert, they’re sure to bring a smile to your face.
Vegan and Gluten-Free Chocolate RollsCourse: Breakfast, DessertsDifficulty: Easy
1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour (see above text for brand used)
1 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
TWO flax eggs (combine 2 tbsp flax meal with 6 tbsp water)
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp almond milk
3/4 cup chocolate chips or however many you want
- mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and then add in the wet ones.
- mix well with a spoon and then use your hands.
- knead the dough as much possible until it’s thick and add to a floured flat surface.
- use a rolling pin or your hands to evenly spread out the dough to about 1/3 inch thick.
- add the chocolate chips on top and cut into strips with a pizza cutter.
- individually roll the dough.
- add to a cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.