is there anything that cauliflower can’t do?! seriously, from a wide variety of savory recipes like pizza crust to gnocchi, it does it all. i particularly love cauliflower because you can get it to really take on any kind of flavor. The Best Vegan Cauliflower Steaks are super hearty and coated in the most delicious batter, which elevates the taste and texture.
as you can see, my cauliflower steaks were coated in a yummy batter and then topped with marinara, cheese, mushrooms and herbs.
for the marinara, i used Rao’s but anything is going to work in this case! the cheese brand is vevan and it actually melts so well, i’m super impressed!
you can take any route you want though, the important part of the recipe are the cauliflower steaks and the batter. the toppings are endless.
whenever i make cauliflower steaks, i always get some preparation questions, so here are my best tips for you!
cauliflower steak tips
- cut, about 1 inch thick slices.
- cut them carefully and slowly.
- trim off the very bottom of the cauliflower stem but not too much so the core remains intact.
- try to cut through the middle of the cauliflower head, so they have a better chance of staying together.
- remove the outer green leaves so they don’t burn.
- for the florets that fall off and don’t stay in tact for the cauliflower steaks, use for another recipe or bake with the steaks! cooking time could be quicker though if they’re smaller so monitor.
it may seem difficult to keep the cauliflower steaks intact without falling apart into florets, i’ve been there!
with a little bit of practice though and doing it carefully, it will work out :). you may be wondering about the batter the cauliflower steaks are coated in, so let’s talk about that!
the batter is simple and made with oat flour, flax meal, some seasoning, sea salt and plain unsweetened dairy free milk. it creates a beautiful crust on the outside!
you bake them after they are coated for 30 minutes and then add your toppings. for example though, if you don’t want to add marinara and cheese, you could brush each side with buffalo sauce.
then, you can just place them back in the oven another 7 minutes and they will be totally baked to perfection!
if you don’t want to adding any toppings for baking and for example, just some hummus, then bake them a total of 37 minutes and don’t remove from the oven.
then, you can just add the hummus when the cauliflower steaks are completely done. i hope all of this helps!
are you going to make The Best Vegan Cauliflower Steaks?!
if you make one of my recipes, i would LOVE to see your creation! be sure to leave a review in the comments section, it is so appreciated and helps my small business.
do you want to save this recipe for later!? you can add the recipe to your recipe board on Pinterest!
it brings me so much happiness to see your beautiful recreations on Instagram :). tag me so that i can see and repost your food on my stories!
The Best Vegan Cauliflower SteaksCourse: Lunch & Dinner, Main DishesDifficulty: Easy
4 or 5 cauliflower steaks
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup flax meal
3/4 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
sea salt to taste – in between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp
i added marinara, vegan cheese and sautéed mushrooms but so many different options will work!
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- cut the cauliflower into “steaks” and see text for tips.
- mix the batter ingredients and coat each steak on both sides, you can use clean hands to ensure the batter really sticks to the cauliflower.
- bake on a parchment paper lined baking tray at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- remove and then top with marinara and cheese and bake another 7 minutes.
- store in the fridge in an airtight container but they’re best eaten the same day.