one of my absolute FAVORITE holiday desserts of all time was pecan pie before i went vegan. confession, i have yet to make a vegan pie version BUT Healthy Tahini Pecan Bars are basically pie, right? lightened up with healthy ingredients and 8 tbsp of maple syrup all in all, they’re a perfect vegan, better for you dessert to add to your holiday spread!
the pecan topping for pies and such can seem rather intimidating, right? no worries! the good news is that i made this recipe SUPER easy for you and all you have to do is throw everything into a large pan and cook it on the stove for 10 minutes while stirring periodically. sounds great huh?
when it comes to tahini, you’re looking at a number one fan. shockingly, i was not the biggest fan of tahini the first time i tried it plain years ago (who was i?). now though, after discovering it’s glorious taste in all things sweet and savory, it’s a staple in the upbeetandkaleingit kitchen.
cinnamon makes this recipe a little extra special. pecans, tahini and cinnamon were just kind of made to be mixed together into a fabulous vegan dessert.
if the amount of maple syrup i used isn’t quite enough, i recommend drizzling more on top of the bars right after they come out of the oven, yum!!
i’m beyond excited to hear what you think about this recipe and of course tag me if you post on IG because i love reposting!!
Healthy Tahini Pecan BarsCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
- pecan topping
2 cups pecans (i used halves and whole ones, whatever you have on hand)
4 tbsp maple syrup
4 tbsp room temp coconut oil
1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups almond flour
2 tbsp room temp coconut oil
4 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup dairy free milk
1/3 cup creamy tahini
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- for the pecan topping, add all ingredients to a large pan. stir well and once the mixture comes to a boil, cook on medium heat for 10 minutes and stir periodically. the mixture should be sticky and most liquid absorbed.
- then, add all crust ingredients to a bowl and mix until a thick dough forms.
- evenly distribute the dough into a 8 x 8 baking pan.
- bake the crust at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- remove and add the pecan topping. bake another 17 minutes and then cool down completely so it sets.
- cut into bars, store in the fridge and enjoy!